Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Chair Affair: Venus Natural Crystal Chair

A man after my own heart. 


Tokujun Yoshioka "grows" chairs out of natural crystal. 



Where was he during my sixth grade science fair?

I actually won the Invention Convention that year with my disposable water fountain cover.  However, I failed to sell my idea at the state level. Refusing to demonstrate how my prototype actually worked did not go over well with the judges. I was afraid that I would look silly sipping water from a "model fountain" made out of a water bottle and a cardboard box. It's a perfectly legitimate reason.......what?

 Now that I think about it. This could have been the start of all my problems. Damn you disposable water fountain covers!


Anyway, The crystals form around a polyester elastomer skeleton submerged in a tank.  


A tank filled with genius.

Images via tokujin.com
Found via NOTCOT.com

No comments: