Monday, January 9, 2012

The Man Flu: A Domestic Epidemic

em·pa·thy [em-puh-thee]
noun
1: the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with          it
2: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings,        
    thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and     
    experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this

I Told You So by Kotama Bouabane


Empathy is something I am lacking. When I see a person that seems to be in pain or some sort of personal turmoil the drill sergeant in me immediately turns on. It usually involves a lot of eye rolling and A LOT of avoidance. I don’t know, maybe it’s the only child in me but I just can’t watch someone act like they are in pain when I don’t believe that said pain needs to be displayed so dramatically. Buck up!

Does this make me a terrible person?  Maybe……

Hypocritical at times?  Probably……

But in my defense, I didn’t learn this about myself until I encountered;

THE MAN FLU (click to watch and learn more)

A terrible epidemic sweeping the nation:  Men, losing all sense of manliness over a sore throat and the sniffles.


Modern Man Cave


 Four days of utter chaos and confusion.  First, the sofa becomes over run by toilet paper rolls and Vicks cough drop wrappings (You will even find them hidden in the cushions months later).  Next the bed becomes a battle ground. Where do I go? Where do I sleep? The dog bed even looks inviting at this point. 

Finally, when you think that the worst has come, in starts the coughing, and the groaning….. AND the noise that sounds like crying, but I’m not really sure what that was.

It’s not pretty. If ever you come in contact with this problem I warn you, either run in the other direction or make certain to equip yourself with the proper weapons of defense:

Chicken Soup
Kleenex
Plenty of hand sanitizer
Nyquil (for you, not him)
Cable Television
Last but not least, a sunny disposition.

Oh, I almost forgot; the delusion that if you go near a sick person you will NOT catch their cold.

This is where I went wrong.


In the middle of a coughing episode, I made the mistake of producing a look of horror and disgust. A face that had I known what would have transpired afterward, I would have made in my head instead of, well, actually making it. Reflexes don’t always work in your favor you know.

“You are the most unsympathetic person I have ever met,” He scoffed!

Ouch! I direct hit at my emotional capabilities……Or lack thereof. If I had only made the chicken soup or gotten close enough to his forehead to "fake" a kiss, I could have avoided an argument.

 Instead, I learned that I am unapologetically unsympathetic to a sore throat.  I do not enjoy getting sick. No one does, I get that.  I just don’t understand why I should put myself in the line of fire!!?! I’m sorry, call me frigid, but I am not interested in risking my own well being to ensure that someone else feels, well, loved.


Alright, I am frigid…….Get a puppy. 

No comments: