Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Zero Gravity, and Acceptance


“So, what do you do?”

“Well, I’m in Visual Merchandising, but I just started a blog. So……that’s, really fun. It’s called Girl Meets Chair…..I’m a chair enthusiast.”

It was obvious, I was rambling. I was afraid to tell them what I was doing with my life; or wasn’t doing.  I was afraid of judgment, afraid of ridicule. For some reason throughout my days I have come to expect it.

It's odd, I often find myself judging people more when I am feeling insecure about myself. “Oh you’re just an  attorney, what do you know, stop looking at me like I am some young kid who will one day figure it out and get a 'real job'.”  The problem is, NO ONE is looking at me like that. I am only looking in a mirror. All the judgments I feel from other people are projections that I feel about myself. They always say that you are your own worst critic. It’s so sad.

“So what do you blog about?”

“Well, you know-interior design, life, and chairs…..chairs. I think you could design a whole room around a chair. You can design a whole room around anything really. If you put your mind to it”

“What about a Zero Gravity Chair” He responded enthusiastically as if he were giving me some sort of challenge.

 “I’m sorry; I’m not familiar with that.”

He and his wife proceeded to explain to me what exactly a zero gravity chair actually was. He even sprawled his body out to mimic how you were to sit in said chair. It was funny, I laughed.  He was enjoying our conversation.  I was too.

It was then that I realized this “thing” that I’m doing not just a "thing", it's something interesting, it's something I'm excited about.  It’s not just another project that I am going to set aside after a month to never look at again. This "thing" is part of my life.

So it is born. If you would like to challenge me to design a space around a chair, a photo, a piece of a art work, a piece of garbage, a song……whatever;  Anything that inspires you....can also inspire me,

I'll gladly accept.

Zero Gravity Man Cave
Start with Art 
20x200:  144 Empty Parking Lots and 125 Stadiums 
by Jenny Odell , Approach by Thomas Prior


Chandelier:  Y lighting, Side Table: West Elm, Bookshelves: Opinion Ciatti , Rug: Madeleine Weinrib, Steve Martin: Born Standing UpLamp: Design Within Reach, Internet TV: Sony



No comments: