Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cooking, Shoes, and a little Kitchen Inspiration


"Always Remember, if you're alone in the kitchen and you drop the lamb, you can always just pick it up. Who's going to know?' 
-Julia Child

    Julia Child, photographed in her Cambridge, Massachusetts, kitchen, June 29, 1970. By Arnold   Newman/Getty Images via Vanity Fair

"Cooking is not my strong suit. If I could compare myself to anyone in the kitchen it would be Carrie 
Bradshaw…except I don’t have shoes in my cabinets. Shoes; not my strong suit either."

“How dare you call yourself a woman? You don’t like for shoes AND you can’t cook!”

"I never said I didn't like shoes. What I said was....." 


Wait.  Is it possible? Is it really possible that I am standing across from this woman, a woman I have never met and she is blatantly judging me?  More so, why is her comment digging me to the core? Why do I feel the need to explain myself to her? 

Thoughts start racing through my head:

“Oh My God. I need to learn to cook, by tomorrow afternoon.”
“My wardrobe is a mess…..Did I leave my credit card at home?”
 “I’m a failure”
“I’ll never amount to anything”

I’d keep going, but why bore you with information that I, in a matter of seconds, convinced myself were true based on a stranger’s opinion. Why try at anything when the standards are so high that you can’t even imagine moving without judgments and false opinion spewing out your ears falling onto the floor. I mean, that’s a big mess to clean up…… I just moved in and I haven't found the time to buy a mop.

Halfway through the conversation I snapped back to reality (Isn’t it funny that you can carry on a full conversation without actually hearing a single word you just said) only to hear her say…

“Well what are you going to do in the kitchen, if you don’t know how to cook?”

my kitchen as it stands (photo taken with Iphone)

I calmly replied, “I am going to decorate it.”


So I accept the challenge; Not to try to be like what I think everyone else wants me to be, or what the rules of society dictate.  I instead choose to do the things that I do best and do them even better. The new things I learn along the way (cooking, fashion, and the art of walking in heels) will be an added bonus. 


As I've said before and I will say again, inspiration is everywhere, even in negative situations. If we just take the time to open up, we can learn something new from every moment of our life.
  

No comments: