Monday, October 3, 2011

Art, Life, and the Pursuit of Chairs

"You can either get out and live your life,  Or you can stay huddled up in your apartment like a hermit, which do you choose?”


    Photo: Untitled (Astoria Park, Queens, New York) by Carlo Van de Roer



I looked her dead in the eye and responded, “But my apartment is so cute!”

This is pretty much the way I have lived my life since I was a child. My favorite pastimes included moving my room around and building forts houses in the back yard out of old sheets.  Space planning my Barbie dream house was not an option; it was a way of life.

Solitude, on the other hand, has been a hot topic since the early years. I was raised an only child and spent the majority of my time alone.  Now being an “adult” I find that I enjoy my alone time just as much if not more than when I was a child. 


Pillow: Jonathan Adler, Sofa and Chandelier: West Elm, Nesting Tables: Anthropologie, Side Chair: Organic Modernism, Steel Balls..CB2

Are my social skills lacking? Maybe. But I think that interaction with people is overrated.  I mean seriously, if you are too afraid to call and order a pizza..Then you never eat pizza, Ergo, no pizza sticking to your ass......

Honestly, It’s a lose win situation, and I’m beating myself to a pulp. 

So here I am… 20 something years later, sitting in the kitchen with my mother, wishing she could live my life for me. Take my chances for me, make everything easier. But she can’t,  and even if she could, she won’t.  She knows that my path can only be paved by me and no matter how much she wants me to figure it out, I must do it alone. 

What  I plan to learn from this experiment, I’m not completely sure…I do know I hope to find out a little bit more about myself, and a load of awesome chairs.


     Chairs Anthropologie

No comments: